(San Antonio, Texas -- October 10, 2005) NewTek, Inc., manufacturer of industry-leading 3D animation and video products, today announced the release of the fifth free update and the 64-bit port for Emmy® award-winning LightWave 3D®.
Version 8.5 offers hardware support of OpenGL 2.0, the new Multishift™ tool with editable history, Photoshop-style texture blending modes, improved dynamics, and easier integration of third-party file formats. The 64-bit port of LightWave 3D for Windows XP Pro x64 OS, is also being made available as part of the release of the version 8.5 update. LightWave®'s 64-bit version leverages the increased memory available with 64-bit systems plus the power of the new processors and faster RAM access to provide digital artists with a streamlined workflow that allows them greater flexibility and creative freedom. LightWave version 8.5 update is now available free to registered owners of LightWave .
"We're very pleased to bring our LightWave users a new level of display capabilities in OpenGL, and a quantum leap in content creation capability with 64-bit performance," said Jay Roth, president of NewTek’s 3D graphics division. "Accurate real-time display of many of the aspects of the final image without having to render will save a great deal of production time. With LightWave 64-bit and the new 64-bit dual-core platforms, content creators can complete their work in less time, or do more complex work than could previously have been done within a given time and budget. The 8.5 release is another milestone in major performance enhancements as our development team moves LightWave forward, demonstrating our commitment to rapid and innovative development."
"We're pleased that NewTek has used powerful development tools from Intel® and participation in the Intel® Early Access Program to optimize LightWave's performance for a wide variety of Intel® processors," said Melissa Laird, general manager of Intel's Developer Relations Division. "LightWave users can take maximum advantage of the enhanced performance offered by powerful new Intel® processors, including the latest multi-core technologies."
LightWave 3D, version 8.5 Includes:
- New OpenGL Hardware shader option using the hardware renderer in OpenGL video cards to display many of the render functions in real-time. Lights, light falloffs, blending images on surfaces, per-pixel lighting will all be available in real-time, with an option to turn this feature on and off.
- New Photoshop-style texture blending modes
- New Parts-to-Surfaces tool allows for easier integration of 3D objects created in other applications.
- New Multishift allows the user to do multiple bevels and extrusions in a single edit with a history profile that can be saved and applied to other meshes.
- Dynamics now launch a control window that allows you to switch to other applications while calculating dynamics in LightWave.
- Particle dynamics have been improved for accuracy, including interaction with collision planes. A new algorithm also allows large dynamic scenes to load up to 10x faster.
- 78 new configurable keyboard shortcut options.
Pricing and Availability
LightWave®  is currently available for Windows 2000/XP and Mac OS X, for a suggested retail price of US$795. Registered owners of LightWave®  or earlier may upgrade to version  for US$395. The LightWave v8.5 update is available to registered owners of LightWave  by free download. LightWave 64 is available to registered LightWave  owners at no charge other than the cost of materials and shipping for the required LightWave v8.5 installer CD, $29.95 plus shipping and handling. In addition to our regular retail price offerings, the following special purchase options are available for a limited time:
- LightWave Full seats:
- LightWave  full seat, PDF manual, Vue 5 Infinite, free update to v9: $795
- LightWave  full seat, printed manual, Vue 5 Infinite, free update to v9: $895
- For registered owners of LightWave [7.5] or earlier:
- LightWave  upgrade, PDF manual, Vue 5 Infinite, free update to v9: $395
- LightWave  upgrade, printed manual, Vue 5 Infinite, free update to v9: $495
- For Registered owners of LightWave :
- LightWave 3D v9.0 upgrade with PDF manual and Vue 5 Infinite: $395
- LightWave 3D v9.0 with printed manual and Vue 5 Infinite: $495
Those purchasing any LightWave  full or upgrade product offering after August 01, 2005 qualify for a free upgrade to LightWave 3D version 9.0 upon its release. For more information or to purchase, visit: http://www.newtek.com
or call NewTek Sales at 1-800-368-5441, overseas callers dial +1-210-370-8000. To locate a NewTek Authorized Reseller link to http://www.newtek.com/dealers
With headquarters in San Antonio, Texas, NewTek is a leading provider of full-featured video editing, live production, presentation, animation and special effects tools including LightWave 3D®, winner of the 2003 Primetime Emmy® Engineering Award, TriCaster™ and VT™. NewTek launched the desktop video revolution in 1990 with the release of the legendary Video Toaster®. The company's products are used worldwide on projects ranging from home video to feature film. Recent television and film projects using NewTek production tools include Serenity, Fantastic Four, The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl in 3D, Sin City, The Aviator, Aliens of the Deep, "I, Robot", Spiderman 2, Battlestar: Galactica, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Access Hollywood and Entertainment Tonight. Recent game titles include Ridge Racers, Full Spectrum Warrior, Burnout 3, Doom III, Unreal Tournament, and Age of Mythology.. Website: http://www.newtek.com