(San Rafael, California--March 26, 2010) Autodesk, Inc., has announced the release of Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2011 visualization software. The 2011 version delivers new techniques for more rapidly iterating design concepts, accurately analyzing daylight effects, and creating emotionally engaging visuals to validate and communicate the story behind a design. It also helps simplify the process of aggregating data from multiple CAD applications.
"Design communication is about storytelling," said Ken Pimentel, director of the Visual Communications Group at Autodesk. "For many of our customers, a high-impact visualization can make the difference between winning a bid or walking away empty-handed."
"The new object painting brushes, Slate node-based material editor and Quicksilver hardware renderer in 3ds Max Design 2011 will help me work faster and better," said Alessandro Cangelosi, a successful freelancer and visual effects artist. "The ability to save in the 3ds Max 2010 file format is one of the most important additions. It will enable me to work in the 2011 version and then deliver the final project using the old file format without compatibility problems. 3ds Max Design 2011 is a must have."
Key New Features in Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2011
Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2011 software has the following new and enhanced features:
- Quicksilver hardware renderer, a new GPU-based, multithreaded rendering engine that can achieve up to 10x faster rendering than traditional techniques on common graphics boards
- A new FBX File Link that notifies designers of upstream design changes from Autodesk Revit Architecture software and helps reduce the need for rework
- Significant enhancements for importing native data from Autodesk Inventor software into 3ds Max Design as a solid
- Ability to view most 3ds Max Design texture maps and materials in the viewport to develop and refine scenes in a higher-fidelity interactive display environment - without the constant need to re-render
- Significant enhancements to the modeling and texturing toolset, accessed through a new in-context user interface, that help accelerate everyday workflows
- Import and export of surfaces and solids between 3ds Max Design and Autodesk Revit Architecture software, Rhino, SolidWorks and certain other applications that support the SAT file format
- Ability to import Google SketchUp version 6 and 7 software files natively, enabling users to directly import files from the Google 3D Warehouse
- A new Autodesk Material Library that enables designers to more easily exchange material data between certain Autodesk applications
Videos of the new features in 3ds Max Design 2011 are available on the Autodesk YouTube channel. More information is also available on Autodesk's 3ds Max blogs by Ken Pimentel, Shane Griffith and Louis Marcoux.
Autodesk Civil Visualization Extension for Autodesk 3ds Max Design and AutoCAD Civil 3D
Autodesk has also announced the Autodesk Civil Visualization Extension, composed of Autodesk Dynamite VSP and Dynamite SIM technology for 3ds Max Design Ø software previously valued at US$4,200.* The extension also includes the Dynamite VSP Exporter for AutoCAD Civil 3D software. This extension will put highly automated, easier-to-use visualization capabilities into the hands of many civil engineers for the first time. It establishes a dynamic link between 3ds Max Design and Civil 3D, allowing civil engineers to more easily integrate visualization into the design process, even those without detailed knowledge of 3ds Max Design.
The Autodesk Civil Visualization Extension is available only to Autodesk 3ds Max Design and AutoCAD Civil 3D Subscription customers. The product is not sold separately.
Pricing and Availability
Autodesk anticipates that 3ds Max Design 2011 and Autodesk Civil Visualization Extension will be available in English during April 2010. The Autodesk suggested retail price (SRP) for Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2011 is US$3,495.* The price to upgrade from either 3ds Max 2010 or 3ds Max Design 2010 to 3ds Max Design 2011 is US$1,745* SRP. Autodesk Subscription is available for purchase simultaneously with the product or upgrade purchase for US$495* SRP per year.
*International pricing may vary.