(Marlborough, Massachusetts--March 30, 2010) Boris FX, the leading developer of integrated effects technology for video and film, announced that a new Boris Continuum Unit, Shaders, is now available. The Boris Continuum Shaders Unit includes 13 Boris Continuum Complete filters and transitions that take advantage of Apple’s real-time FxPlug architecture.
Among the included filters are a full suite of keying and compositing tools, film effects, glow effects, 3D perspective filters and transitions, and an all-new Flicker and Shake filter.
“The Boris Continuum Shaders Unit is a perfect starter set of Boris Continuum Complete filters for any Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Express, or Motion user,” commented Kevin McAuliffe, Pro Editing @ Home. “The Unit includes many essentials such as robust chroma keying, great-looking film effects, and rays and glows that complement Apple’s native feature set.”
“The name Shaders stems from the OpenGL technology used in this subset of Boris Continuum Complete filters,” commented Boris Yamnitsky, president and founder, Boris FX. “The software algorithms have been re-written in a special shader language for the Graphics Processing Unit under Apple’s FxPlug architecture. The result is real-time playback and the ability to stack multiple filters without the render penalty associated with software-based filters.”
The Boris Continuum Shaders Unit allows editors to view animated previews of presets and saved effects in a unique, easy-to-use effects browser window. This innovative, try-before-you-apply approach saves endless trips to a pop-up menu or file dialog when searching for just the right look. Presets can be viewed in real-time using actual clips from the timeline.
Boris Continuum Shaders Unit Filters and Transitions
- Chroma Key Studio. Chroma Key Studio provides real-time keying and compositing tools such as a best-of-breed chroma key process, spill suppression, a matte choker, and a light wrap compositing step. All four tools are combined in one, easy-to-use filter; there is no need to stack multiple filters to pre and post process video.
- Flicker and Shake. Flicker And Shake is an auto-animating filter that uses bursts of synchronized Exposure, Glow, Blur, X or Y displacement, and RGB channel offset to create a flicker effect for video or graphics elements. The flicker effect has been made popular by recent television commercials and film trailers.
- 3D Perspective. The 3D Perspective filter creates Apple’s popular “Cover Flow” look - complete with floor surface and reflection.
- MultiTone. The MultiTone filter uses a source image’s color, luma, or alpha information to create a toned image that uses up to five independent colors.
- Film Effect. The Film Effect filter provides a variety of real-time “film look” effects such as Black and White, Bleach Bypass, Bright and Warm Tone, Cool Tone, Color Reversal, Lens Mist, Warm Faded Grainy, Sepia Tone, Platinum, and Misty B&W Vignette.
- Glow Edge. The Glow Edge filter applies a real-time glow that adheres closely to the contours of an image clip's alpha channel or mask.
- Luma Rays. Luma Rays is a popular volumetric lighting effect where beams of light push out from infinity toward the camera. The beams of light are typically held back by a block of text or another solid object that is in the path of the light ray.
- Real-Time Transitions include 3D Pull Swap, 3D Spin Flip, Dissolve Glow, Dissolve, Luma Mask, and Dissolve Rays.
The Boris Continuum Shaders Unit supports Apple Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Express, and Motion. The Shaders Unit is the latest addition to previously-released Boris Continuum Units: Chroma Key, Pan and Zoom, UpRez, Motion Key, Lens Flare, Film Look, Glitters, Optical Stabilizer, Light Rays, 3D Objects, Cartoon Look, Motion Tracker, Image Restoration, and Materials.
Pricing and Availability
The Boris Continuum Shaders Unit is immediately available through the Boris FX worldwide reseller channel and direct from the Boris FX web site at http://www.borisfx.com
for an MSRP of $299 USD. Customers who purchase the Boris Continuum Shaders Unit or any other Boris Continuum Unit may credit the price of the Unit towards the full Boris Continuum Complete plug-in suite. For more information, please visit the Boris FX web site at http://www.borisfx.com
About Boris FX
Founded in 1995, Boris FX is the leading developer of integrated graphics and effects technology, delivering 3D compositing and vector graphic products for broadcast, post-production, film, and multimedia. Boris products have grown to serve millions of artists worldwide. The company's success lies in its ability to integrate and leverage technologies through strong partnerships with industry-leading developers such as Adobe, Apple, Autodesk, Avid, Grass Valley, and Sony.