(Santa Clara, California--January 10, 2012) ASSIMILATE, the leading provider of powerful post-production tools for digital workflows, has shipped the 6.1 versions of its renowned SCRATCH® digital intermediate finishing tool.
This new version offers new features designed to deliver higher productivity and creativity to artists working with RED and HDRx media, as well as those working in production grading and finishing pipelines. SCRATCH version 6.1 provides support for the upcoming Element control panel from Tangent, and includes the support for SDI output on the Mac via AJA KONA 3G cards first announced at IBC, 2011.
The New features of SCRATCH 6.1 include
Enhanced support for RED workflows
– The first DI vendor to launch support for the new RED SDK 4.2, ASSIMILATE again extends their leadership position in RED workflows, delivering dramatic performance improvements and additional creative options for handling HDRx media.
"Working with the latest RED support in SCRATCH 6.1, has enabled me to work with RED HDRx footage while maintaining a pure RAW workflow, which would otherwise have been impossible” said New York-based Nat Jencks, and independent color/VFX/DI artist. “I always prefer working from RAW files when possible rather than pre-rendering to DPX, so this has saved me a lot of pain, and has given me the flexibility I wanted."
New SDI output architecture
- Performance enhancements up to 6x working with RED media. Optimized image processing based on output project resolution, automatically sets the resolution for maximum performance at load time. This allows SCRATCH 6.1 users who shoot at 5K, but require delivery at lower resolutions, to work much faster and with more scaffolds. Users can choose to use the automatic setup or adjust the target resolution per shot. If the system has a Red Rocket decoder card all rescaling is done on the card. But even without a RED Rocket card, SCRATCH 6.1 allows artists to set the resolution and filter, to scale to the final target resolution, using software-only decoding.
- New, creative options for working with HDRx media. Maximize the power and flexibility of shooting with high dynamic range via the new “Simple Blend” and “Magic Motion” features. The Magic Motion post-processing feature allows artists to customize motion blur characteristics to HDRx clips, while the Simple Blend option creates an automatic blending of the X and A tracks of an HDRx image. SCRATCH 6.1 supports these features with the same powerful, intuitive scaffolds interface that has made it the ultimate DI companion for RED media since original RED One.
– ASSIMILATE has expanded its SPA plug in API to offer SDI card vendors a wealth of tools to deliver a broad range of output, mastering and backup options to SCRATCH artists.
"AJA has always been about offering our customers the widest range of choices when it comes to digital video interface solutions", said Nick Rashby, President, AJA Video Systems. "We're excited to team with ASSIMILATE to bring the price-performance benefits of our industry-leading KONA cards to SCRATCH 6.1 users. SCRATCH is one of the most dynamic tools in the television and broadcast post-production environment, and we look forward to working together to enhance the creativity and productivity of artists around the world."
Native support for the upcoming Tangent Element Control Surface
- SDI output on the Mac via the AJA Kona family of cards. From the LHi to the Kona 3Gs, SCRATCH now enables artists to work with 10 and even 12-bit calibrated displays and output to VTR, with embedded timecode and audio, via HDSDI.
- Full SCRATCH PLAYOUT control of an HDSDI signal via the AJA Kona cards. Now SCRATCH artists on the Mac can output to VTR via AJA Kona SDI cards with full machine control. This allows artists working in spot and episodic television workflows to master and even back up to tape, without rendering.
- The expanded SPA API allows any vendor to deliver unique functionality to SCRATCH. Additional announcements will be forthcoming over the course of 2012.
- SCRATCH 6.1 follows in the tradition of offering fast, intuitive access to the entire range of controls via a broad spectrum of control panels- from no panel at all, to the new Tangent Element. Highlighted for it’s elegant and compact, yet powerful design, the Element is one of the most anticipated control panels in years, and SCRATCH 6.1 is already optimized for it out-of-the box. In addition, the Element will be available on the ASSIMILATE Store as soon as it ships (expected in January, 2012).
SCRATCH is ASSIMILATE’s flagship data-centric DI system for the playback, conform, editing, color grading, compositing and finishing of high-end digital workflows. SCRATCH Lab is the industry’s first digital lab tool designed to meet the requirements of on-location workflows and VFX dailies pipelines.
SCRATCH and SCRATCH Lab deliver the industry’s most comprehensive toolset for data-centric digital cinema and broadcast productions on 2D and 3D stereo projects, at up to 5K resolutions and beyond. Both 6.1 versions of the software, released simultaneously on Mac OS® X and Windows 7, feature SDI output via AJA KONA 3G cards, improved on-set dailies and RED workflow support, enhanced conform and 3D capabilities, and advanced XML and HTML interoperability.
Pricing & Availability:
SCRATCH is available immediately and is a free upgrade for users who are currently on maintenance and support. New licenses are available for purchase either via ASSIMILATE’s worldwide network of resellers, or online via the ASSIMILATE Store (https://store.assimilateinc.com/). SCRATCH licenses are aggressively priced at $17,995, for either MacOS® X or Windows 7.
ASSIMILATE is the premier provider of digital workflow and post-production tools, that have proven essential to the successful creation of thousands of studio and independent features, television shows, music videos and corporate video productions. The company’s products, running on Windows and Mac OS® X, are the heartbeat of today’s most demanding digital post-production and dailies workflows for 2D and stereo 3D productions. They equip Directors, DPs and Artists with the state-of-the-art, intuitive, data-centric solutions they need to meet the continual challenges of increased creativity and productivity amid ever-shrinking budgets. ASSIMILATE’s SCRATCH® data-centric DI system, is the most comprehensive, end-to-end cinema and broadcast imaging tool for playback, conform, editing, color grading, compositing and finishing of RED and other digital workflows. SCRATCH Lab™ delivers a comprehensive toolset for the review, versioning, color correction, conform and output of on-set or VFX dailies. ASSIMILATE a privately held company, with headquarters in Santa Clara, California, USA, offices in London, UK, Groningen, NL and Beijing City, CN and markets its products worldwide via a global reseller network. To learn more please visit http://www.assimilateinc.com