(Las Vegas: NAB 2012--April 16, 2012) Cinedeck LLC, pioneering developer of mobile capture systems for motion picture and broadcast production, today announced the debut of Cinedeck MX, a new multi-channel recorder offering unparalleled codec versatility and extreme workflow performance to broadcast and post production facilities, at NAB 2011 (Cinedeck Booth #SL13417).
As the entertainment industry transitions to tapeless workflows, Cinedeck MX represents the ideal, cost-effective replacement for the traditional tapedeck, while delivering the full advantages of file-based workflow. Cinedeck MX will fit directly into existing facility architectures, and a single system can be configured to supersede multiple tapedecks.
Cinedeck MX is a rack-mountable, solid-state recording, monitoring and playback system. It is built on the successful technology pioneered by the award-winning Cinedeck EX and Cinedeck RX recording systems, and is packed with the latest features to maximize file-based production and post.
Cinedeck MX bears the Cinedeck-brand hallmark of unmatched native codec capture diversity to eliminate time-consuming ingest and transcode processes, multiple encodes per input channel, the most flexible connectivity and editorial workflow options, a small physical footprint, plus ground-breaking versatility on multi-camera, 2D/3D stereo projects. Cinedeck MX also combines Cinedeck’s renowned intuitive touchscreen interface with familiar manual controls, reducing training time and speeding deployment.
The development of Cinedeck MX was inspired through collaboration with customers, including All Mobile Video, NY, which recently integrated multiple Cinedeck RX systems into its fleet of OB vehicles. Taking this feedback, and building on Cinedeck's modular software and technology platform, the development cycle of Cinedeck MX – from concept, to NAB showcase, to the scheduled shipping date in July 2012 – is expected to be just six months.
“We love how Cinedeck RX has streamlined our OB production workflows, and the cost benefits we can now pass on to customers, but wanted even more horsepower and features to realize a fully-tapeless workflow into post-production,” said Eric Duke, President of All Mobile Video. “It’s amazing to see how fast Cinedeck has responded to our additional needs with the new Cinedeck MX.”
Cinedeck CEO, Charles Dautremont, commented. “The low cost, feature-set and sheer performance of Cinedeck MX place it in the perfect position to replace the traditional tapedeck. The collaboration with customers, such as AMV, over its design and function, combined with our own modular architecture mean we can deliver Cinedeck MX to market quickly, and offer OEM systems partnerships very cost effectively too.”
Advantages of Cinedeck MX over tape
Cinedeck MX provides dramatic costs savings over the purchase and installation of traditional tapedecks, and the other ancillary equipment typically used in a machine room.
Occupying 4RU rack-space, a single Cinedeck MX can be easily configured to undertake the tasks of two tapedecks, thereby reducing overall spend on machinery, and saving physical space, and transportation costs.
With its sheer range of codec choice, multiple realtime codec delivery options, plus realtime up/down/cross conversion capabilities, Cinedeck eliminates time-consuming and costly transcoding processes.
As material is delivered to post production in the appropriate ready-to-edit codec, or direct to a playout server in the transmission-ready format, Cinedeck MX slashes the time and cost of getting material from production to post to air.
Cinedeck MX has in-built waveform, vectorscope, histogram monitoring and focus tools, doing away with expenditure on supplementary devices. It also consumes minimal power.
Cinedeck MX product highlights
- Operation & Controls: Cinedeck MX combines Cinedeck’s renowned and easy-to-operate 7” touchscreen interface with familiar manual Jog/Shuttle and deck controls. It can also be remote-controlled via popular RS-422 VTR/DDR protocols, and supports third-party control devices via USB connection. Cinedeck MX will ship with Cinedeck Controller, a TCP/IP based application enabling multiple Cinedeck MX systems to be managed from any PC, or via a browser, with no additional hardware requirements.
- Record: Cinedeck MX has eight removable SSD drives, with in-built redundancy for security of assets, with capture resolutions including HD - 1080i, 1080p, 1080PsF, 720p, HD – 2K, 4K, and SD - PAL/NTSC, 480. It offers mix and match encode, with up to four camera/channel inputs and multiple encodes per channel. It can also be configured to record stereoscopic 3D material in any of the supported codecs.
- Codec support: Cinedeck MX delivers unparalleled codec support for Avid, Apple and a wide range of other popular standards, so that footage is immediately ready for editing in popular editors such as Apple Final Cut Pro, Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas and GV Edius. Codec support includes: Avid DNxHD and DNx444, Avid Meridien JFIF; Apple ProRes 4444, CineForm and uncompressed 444 (10-bit) or 422 (8- or 10-bit); AVC-I 100/50; XDCAM HD50/XDCAM EX35; DVCPRO-HD; H264 and DPX.
Monitoring: Cinedeck MX monitors video in realtime via a high-resolution, 7" touchscreen display. It provides users with a comprehensive array of image analysis tools – including edge enhancement for focus assist, clipping, waveform, vectorscope and histogram.
- Playback: Users can review shots instantly in realtime, and in any order, via the touchscreen display, or external HD-SDI or HDMI monitors – allowing instant QC.
- Security: Redundant file creation on separate local discs and redundant hot swappable power supplies protect material during capture.
- I/O & Connectivity: Cinedeck MX can be deployed in any post-production or broadcast environment, via a wide choice of video, audio, and IT connections including SD, HD, Single and Dual Link, 3G and 3D stereo. It supports realtime up/down/cross conversion, enabling the painless transition to different production formats. For 3D stereo, it captures via HDMI or HD-SDI, and offers the widest variety of codecs for stereoscopic recording in one device, with footage immediately available for editorial and VFX post production.
Pricing and Availability:
Cinedeck MX is expected to be available this summer starting at $43,390 USD. To find your nearest reseller, please visit http://www.cinedeck.com
About Cinedeck LLC:
Founded by cinematographers, and headquartered in the heart of New York City, USA, Cinedeck manufactures innovative, touchscreen recording systems for use with all popular digital cinematography cameras. Along with on-set monitoring, playback and quality control capabilities, these recorders also unify camera-to-post workflows by offering the industry’s most comprehensive range of edit-ready output formats. Cinedeck EX, the industry’s first camera-mountable device, has proven essential to the workflow on hundreds of TV and cinema productions, and has won TV Technology’s “2010 STAR Award”, the “2010 Vidy Award,” and DV Magazine’s “Award of Excellence”. Continuing this pioneering spirit, Cinedeck LLC has addressed the challenges of the mobile OB broadcaster with its Cinedeck RX rack-mounted, multi-format recorder, monitor and playback system. Cinedeck RX was awarded the prestigious “2011 Pick Hit Award at IBC 2011” from Broadcast Engineering Magazine. The new Cinedeck MX builds on the company’s proven technology platform to offer fully-tapeless workflow for broadcast and cinema entertainment production and post. For more information, visit http://www.cinedeck.com