(New York, New York--May 8, 2012) American Cinema Editors (ACE) is excited to announce EditFest NY, the east coast version of ACE’s popular EditFest series originally launched in 2009, set to return again to the Big Apple this June for a weekend of learning, networking and fun. Co-produced by Manhattan Edit Workshop (MEWshop), the must-attend industry event, held on June 8th and 9th, will feature panelists of editors including Jeffrey Ford, A.C.E. (The Avengers, Crazy Heart
), Christopher Tellefsen, A.C.E. (Moneyball, Capote
), and Alexander Hall (Treme, The Messenger)
, among many other influential creatives who will provide insight into the editing and filmmaking process.
“EditFest NY is the event we look forward to every year. It’s amazingly insightful, a ton of fun, and on top of that, a really great chance to network with some of the best in this industry,”
comments Josh Apter, founder and president, Manhattan Edit Workshop. “There’s no better learning opportunity than EditFest NY, where editors at all levels get together – established vets love coming to hear from their colleagues, and even fledgling up-and-comers with tight purse strings have told us it’s the best money they’ve ever spent. Throw in an open bar penthouse party at Le Parker Meridien, free lunch, and beer to end the show, and you’ve got the can’t-miss event of the year.”
Michael Berenbaum, A.C.E. (Sex & The City, What to Expect When You’re Expecting
), who will be a moderator at this year’s event says, "EditFest NY is a great venue for editors – professional and novice – to share stories and trade secrets from real world work situations. I love the opportunity to hang out with old friends and meet new ones."
The two-day program is jam-packed with targeted panels and extensive Q & A sessions, giving attendees an insider’s perspective of the industry. EditFest NY attendees, which include professional editors, production executives, studio and network staff, content creators and more, will learn from and engage in discussions with highly respected award-winning editors of feature films, documentaries and long-form television. Day one of the weekend begins with The Lean Forward Moment, a discussion of editors’ favorite sequences from the films that inspired their careers, moderated by Norman Hollyn (editor, author and editing track head of USC School of Cinematic Arts), and will be followed by the opening night reception – an open bar cocktail party held at Le Parker Meridien Hotel’s penthouse ballroom.
“New York City is home to so many artists and filmmakers, so we’re very excited to be able to offer EditFest to this area. Whether they’re up-and-comers or experienced veterans, everyone has something to learn and something to offer at this event,”
says ACE President Randy Roberts. “Plus, we’ve got a top-notch lineup of speakers and panelists for this year’s event that will surely provide attendees with an invaluable experience they can’t get anywhere else. Except EditFest LA that is.”
Past Attendees Agree EditFest NY is the Editing Event of the Year
“I never imagined that one day I’d be face to face with such important people in the film industry,” recalls Ruben Campos, editor and EditFest NY attendee. “The editors I met at EditFest are heroes to me – people that I read about in books or watched on TV. To be able to learn directly from them how to build a better career as an editor was an unforgettable experience, and one that I couldn’t have had anywhere but EditFest, all thanks to ACE and MEWshop!”
ACE EditFest NY, co-produced by MEWshop
, will take place at the Director’s Guild of America Theater on West 57th Street in New York City from Friday, June 8 to Saturday, June 9.
Full Schedule of Events:
Friday, June 8th, 2012
Saturday, June 9th, 2012
- 6:00pm–7:00pm – Check-In; Purchase raffle tickets for your chance to win prizes
- 7:15pm–9:00pm – The Lean Forward Moment; Editors discuss their favorite editing sequences, moderated by Norman Hollyn
- 9:00pm–11:00pm – Open Bar Cocktail Party at Le Parker Meridien Hotel; Your chance to converse one on one with the panelists and attendees
Confirmed panelists* and participants include:
- 10:00am–11:30am – The Documentary Edit: Non-Fiction vs. the Truth; Documentary editors discuss writing with images, moderator TBA
- 11:45am–1:15pm – Small Screen, Big Show: How Television Has Become the New Independent Film, moderated by Michael Berenbaum, A.C.E.
- 1:15pm–2:15pm – Lunch Break; Boxed lunch included
- 2:15pm–3:45pm – Christopher Tellefsen: From Metropolitan to Moneyball, moderated by Bobbie O’Steen
- 4:00pm–5:30pm – Closing Night Feature Editor Panel: The Editors of The Avengers, moderated by Vincent LoBrutto
- 5:30pm – Beer! Say goodbye to the panelists and fellow EditFest attendees with a short mixer
*Panelists subject to change due to work schedules
Watch the ACE EditFest NY promo video
Registration and Special Pricing
- Alan Heim (All That Jazz, Network, The Notebook)
- Alexander Hall (Treme, Blue Bloods, The Messenger)
- Arielle Amsalem (By the People: The Election of Barack Obama, The Education of Dee Dee Ricks)
- Bobby O’Steen (author of The Invisible Cut and Cut to the Chase)
- Brian Kates, A.C.E. (The Savages, Taking Chance)
- Camilla Toniolo (Smash, Mildred Pierce, I Don’t Know How She Does it)
- Christopher Tellefsen, A.C.E. (Moneyball, Capote)
- David Tedeschi (George Harrison: Living in the Material World, Shine a Light)
- David Zeiff (Metallica: Some Kind of Monster, The Cove)
- Jeffrey Ford, A.C.E. (The Avengers, Crazy Heart)
- Jeffrey Wolf, A.C.E. (Beautiful Girls, Billy Madison, Cecil B. Demented)
- Lewis Erkine (Freedom Riders, Toots)
- Lindsay Utz (Bully, Buoy)
- Lisa Lassek (The Avengers, The Cabin in the Woods)
- Michael Berenbaum, A.C.E. (Sex & The City, What to Expect When You’re Expecting)
- Milton Ginsberg, A.C.E. (Fidel, Down and Out in America, Fields of Freedom)
- Normal Hollyn (editor, author and editing track head of USC School of Cinematic Arts)
- Tim Streeto (Boardwalk Empire, Greenberg)
- Vincent LoBrutto (author and professor at SVA)
ACE EditFest NY 2012 will take place from Friday, June 8 – Saturday, June 9 at the Director’s Guild of America Theater on West 57th Street in New York City. Tickets are available now for just $349 via the American Cinema Editor’s website. Students, members of partner organizations, Mewshop Six Week Alumni, and previous EditFest attendees can purchase tickets at a discount price of US $249. http://editfest.com/buy-tickets/
For the Starving Artists
Interested attendees can also take advantage of payment plans (pay half now, half later). Simply contact the ACE office at:
100 Universal City Plaza, Verna Fields Bldg. 2282, Room 190
Universal City, California 91608
T: 818 777-2900
F: 818 733-5023
More information on EditFest NY 2012
About AMERICAN CINEMA EDITORS
AMERICAN CINEMA EDITORS (ACE) is an honorary society of motion picture editors founded in 1950. Film editors are voted into membership on the basis of their professional achievements, their dedication to the education of others and their commitment to the craft of editing. The objectives and purposes of the AMERICAN CINEMA EDITORS are to advance the art and science of the editing profession; to increase the entertainment value of motion pictures by attaining artistic pre-eminence and scientific achievement in the creative art of editing; to bring into close alliance those editors who desire to advance the prestige and dignity of the editing profession. ACE produces several annual events including EditFest (a weekend editing festival in the summer), Invisible Art/Visible Artists (annual panel of Oscar® nominated editors), and the ACE Eddie Awards, now in its 62nd year, recognizing outstanding editing in nine categories of film, television and documentaries. The organization publishes a quarterly magazine, CinemaEditor, highlighting the art, craft and business of editing and editors.
Follow @ACEFilmEditors on Twitter and Facebook. For more information, visit the American Cinema Editors website.
About Manhattan Edit Workshop – Certified Training in New York City and Your City
Headquartered in New York’s Union Square, Manhattan Edit Workshop was founded in 2002 with the goal of providing cutting-edge instruction on Apple®, Adobe® and Avid® platforms. Since then, Mewshop has added Digital Cinema Production classes, DaVinci Resolve, Autodesk® Smoke®, Assimilate Scratch training and a two-week “Filmmakers Intensive” course to its already impressive curriculum. Mewshop’s signature Six-Week Intensive is a jump-start for anyone looking for a career in post-production, while weekend and one-week courses introduce and solidify core editing concepts. Corporate and group training offers a customized curriculum, either in-house or on-site, for professionals eager to learn a new skill or to build on existing ones. The facility’s focus on small workshops, highly skilled and certified faculty, and a results-oriented curriculum have quickly won it the reputation as New York’s premier post-production teaching facility.
Follow @mewshop on Twitter and Facebook. For more information, visit the Manhattan Edit Workshop website