(Los Angeles, California--February 17, 2014) At the annual Tech Retreat of the Hollywood Post Alliance (HPA) to be held in Palm Springs on February 17th through 21st, 2014, LumaForge, Canon, Seiki and Corning will present a highly efficient and cost-effective 4K workflow for the capture, finishing and display of UHDTV content.
CEO of LumaForge, Neil Smith observes that, “The next wave of home entertainment got underway at CES 2014. Ultra High Definition TVs and 4K content were everywhere to be seen. Though still in the early stages of consumer adoption, the introduction of 4K/UHDTVs into the home has started in earnest. At the HPA Tech Retreat we will be taking the momentum up to the next level by partnering with Canon, Seiki and Corning to show a compelling end-to-end acquisition and delivery pipeline for 4K content.”
The combination of Canon’s EOS C500 4K camera, Seiki’s 65-inch UHDTV and Apple’s new Mac Pros connected together through Corning’s optical Thunderbolt cables offers tremendous benefits in terms of capturing, processing and delivering 4K content. “The C500 is Canon’s flagship cinema quality camera for the capture of 4K video,” says Tim Smith, Canon’s Advisor for the Film & Television Production market in the US. “We’ve been working closely with production professionals in the LA film and TV area to ensure that Canon delivers high quality 4K video in an ergonomic form factor. Our color science and camera sensor technology are second to none and combined with our long tradition of superb lens manufacturing means that Canon is one of the few companies in the world that can deliver a total solution for the 4K acquisition end of content creation.”
LumaForge will be processing the 4K Canon video files through the Apple based ecosystem that is developing around the new Mac Pro cylinders and Intel’s Thunderbolt 2 storage and networking. By combining Thunderbolt 2 connectivity with Thunderbolt enabled video processing cards and break-out boxes, LumaForge is able to build a fast, robust and incredibly cost-effective 4K pipeline.
Utilizing optical Thunderbolt cables supplied by Corning Incorporated, LumaForge is able to run cables up to 60 meters from camera to Mac Pro and from Mac Pro to Thunderbolt 2 storage. “Long optical Thunderbolt cables from Corning are going to revolutionize the infrastructure possibilities of the new Apple computers and high speed Thunderbolt 2 storage,” says Neil Smith. “LumaForge has been testing these new optical cables from Corning for the last month and is very satisfied with the price/performance we’re seeing for 4K high performance workflows. Thunderbolt 2 runs at 20 Gb/s and Corning makes the optical cables in lengths of 10m, 30m and 60m which means we can connect the C500 camera to a Mac Pro nearly 200 feet away without any loss in signal quality.”
Mike Bell, Senior Vice President, Optical Connectivity Solutions, Corning, echoed Smith, saying “This radically different cabling technology is ideal for users in the pro A/V, entertainment and recording industries – or anyone – who wants the creative freedom to create, move and manage their data and content on their terms.”
Delivering the 4K 3840 x 2160 resolution content into the home is going to depend upon many factors, least of which is the size and cost of UHDTVs. Seiki has been leading the way in offering unbeatable value and video performance in 4K UHDTVs. “The recently introduced Seiki 65-inch 4K UHDTV is currently priced at $1,799,” says Sung Choi, Vice President of Marketing at Seiki. “Our 50-inch 4K UHDTV is available at $899 and our 39-inch model at $599. Seiki is delivering stunning 4K UHDTV panels into people’s home at prices that most video enthusiasts can afford. As a brand, we are committed to supporting the wide scale adoption of 4K and enhancing the visual enjoyment of the 4K UHDTV experience.”
In the Demo Room at the HPA Tech Retreat, LumaForge, Canon USA, Seiki and Corning will be showing the latest in 4K/UHDTV end-to-end capture, processing and delivery of 4K content. The next generation UHDTVs are starting to be installed into people’s homes and the demand for compelling 4K content is going to grow exponentially. LumaForge and its strategic partners are committed to ensuring that 4K digital content is captured, processed and delivered in the most cost-effective way possible.
About LumaForge LLC
- LumaForge specializes in configuring and implementing fast, secure and robust 4K workflows for Film and TV productions and post-production. Based in West Hollywood, Los Angeles, LumaForge offers workflow consulting and optimization services as well as systems integration, training and support. Neil Smith is a Certified Apple Consultant specializing in high performance video workflow. http://www.lumaforge.com
About Canon U.S.A., Inc.
- Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions. With approximately $36 billion in global revenue, its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), ranks third overall in U.S. patents registered in 2013† and is one of Fortune Magazine's World’s Most Admired Companies in 2013. In 2013, Canon U.S.A. has received the PCMag.com Readers’ Choice Award for Service and Reliability in the digital camera and printer categories for the tenth consecutive year, and for camcorders for the past three years. Canon U.S.A. is committed to the highest level of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 percent U.S.-based consumer service and support for all of the products it distributes. Canon U.S.A. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company's RSS news feed by visiting http://www.usa.canon.com/rss
and follow us on Twitter @CanonUSA
– Seiki (pronounced “SAY-key”) represents a new way of thinking in consumer electronics. Seiki offers straightforward, reliable digital entertainment experience that is affordably priced and backed by comprehensive customer support.
Featuring a one-year replacement warranty, Seiki markets a full range of high-definition LED televisions that feature 4K Ultra HD and Full HD 1080p resolutions. Seiki 4K Ultra HD TV was recognized and presented with the ninth annual POPULAR MECHANICS’ Breakthrough Awards as one of the top ten products setting benchmarks in design and engineering today.
The company also markets an audio product line that includes multi-channel stereo sound bar solutions and portable Bluetooth® speaker models. Seiki products are available at select authorized national in-store and online retailers. For more information about Seiki and its complete list of North American retail partners, please visit http://www.seiki.com
About Corning Incorporated
- Corning Incorporated is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics. Drawing on more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, Corning creates and makes keystone components that enable high-technology systems for consumer electronics, mobile emissions control, telecommunications and life sciences. Our products include glass substrates for LCD televisions, computer monitors and laptops; ceramic substrates and filters for mobile emission control systems; optical fiber, cable, hardware & equipment for telecommunications networks; optical biosensors for drug discovery; and other advanced optics and specialty glass solutions for a number of industries including semiconductor, aerospace, defense, astronomy, and metrology. Visit http://www.corning.com
for more information.
About The Hollywood Post Alliance Tech Retreat
– an informal gathering, in the Palm Springs area, of the top industry-engineering, technical, and creative talent, as well as strategic business leaders focused on technology, from all aspects of digital-cinema, post-production, film, television, video, and related technologies for the exchange of information. http://www.hollywoodpostalliance.org