(NAB 2014, Las Vegas--April 7, 2014) Blackmagic Design today announced ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K, a new extremely powerful 2 M/E based Ultra HD live production switcher with 20 6G-SDI inputs, SuperSource layering engine and much more for $3,995.
ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K will be shown on the Blackmagic Design NAB 2014 booth at #SL219.
The new ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K includes 20 independent SD, HD or Ultra HD 4K video inputs with each input featuring a full frame synchronizer. ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K also includes all the features expected from a professional switcher, including chroma key, transitions, DVE, media pool, downstream keyers, audio mixer, two multi view outputs and 6G-SDI and HDMI 4K video connections.
This new high end model of the ATEM Production Studio family includes all the powerful features of the other models as well as the exciting SuperSource multi layer processor. SuperSource provides customers with a completely separate 5 layer switcher with the power of 4 picture in picture DVEs and 4 keyers assigned to any ATEM video input. SuperSource allows for multi camera interviews or picture in picture production while leaving all M/Es, keyers and the DVE completely free for other tasks.
ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K supports 6G-SDI so it can be switched between most SD, HD and Ultra HD video formats instantly. Ultra HD is four times the resolution of regular high definition video for a massive 3840 x 2160 frame size. The new 6G-SDI and HDMI 4K video connections effortlessly handle Ultra HD and customers can connect all cameras using a single cable. There is also a high definition down converted HD-SDI program output for when the switcher is operating in Ultra HD formats, but a regular HD program feed is required.
The ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K features a strong and elegant 2 rack unit machined aluminum front panel based design. The front panel keypad lets customers select between each of the 6 independent auxiliary output sources and the 5 inch LCD screen provides instant feedback on the status of the auxiliary output. The aux switching is also a valuable tech monitoring tool for setting up and for live aux switching during production.
The ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K includes the ATEM Software Control Panel for both Mac and Windows that provides complete control of the switcher from a laptop or desktop computer. This software provides full control of transitions, keyers, built in audio mixer and switcher settings. If customers prefer working with a traditional hardware control panel they can add either a ATEM 1 M/E Broadcast Panel or ATEM 2 M/E Broadcast Panel.
ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K features two built in multi view monitoring outputs so customers can view all sources on a single SDI monitor or HDMI TV. Because the multi view outputs are down converted to HD, even when operating in Ultra HD, customers can still use commonly available HD monitors or televisions. Each of the two multi view outputs includes independent views for program, preview and 8 switcher sources.
ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K includes the same high quality transitions found on regular high definition professional switchers, but now all these transitions operate in native Ultra HD. Customers get the choice of mix, dip and wipe effects with full control of the transition type, pattern, length and other attributes. ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K includes 2 built in media players that can store up to 32 full resolution Ultra HD still frames with key and fill. Media players are ideal for lower third name straps, logos and more. ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K also includes a Photoshop™ plug in that allows direct download of graphics and titles from Photoshop to the switcher.
For seamless multi layering, ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K includes 4 upstream keyers and 2 downstream keyers. The upstream keyers includes independent chroma, pattern, shaped and linear keying. These keyers are independent of the SuperSource processor which adds another 5 layers to the massive number of layers available in this switcher.
A built in audio mixer is also included that allows any switcher to use embedded HDMI and SDI audio from cameras as well as external audio from the analog XLR and HiFi audio inputs. Customers can use the mixer in direct input mixing or in audio follow video where the audio from each camera will automatically be cross faded while switching. The analog audio inputs are great for microphones, audio mixers or music players.
ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K uses an aviation grade operating system that ensures mission critical reliability, unlike cheap computer based switchers that interrupt video if the computer crashes.
“With a flood of Ultra HD televisions hitting the market, consumers are gearing up for an amazing transition into a cinema viewing experience in the home! This new ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K is a massive switcher that’s $1000 less than the model it replaces, but features a better design, better technology and many more inputs, plus of course the ability to operate in Ultra HD!” said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. “Live production is the fastest way to generate massive amounts of Ultra HD content quickly and live events offer some of the most exciting sources for entertainment. We think even the largest broadcaster will find the new ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K has all the features and inputs they require for large complex live production jobs!”
ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K Key Features
Availability and Price
- Full 2 M/E switcher with each M/E featuring media players, chroma key, transitions and more.
- Switcher can be switched between SD, HD and Ultra HD video formats instantly.
- 2 x built in multi view allows 16 sources, 2 x previews and program on HD-SDI and HDMI outputs.
- 20 x inputs for a total of 20 x 6G-SDI and 1 x HDMI input. All inputs feature auto re-sync.
- 2 x 6G-SDI program outputs, 1 HDMI 4K program out and 1 down converted HD-SDI program out.
- Built in media pool graphics storage for 32 RGBA Ultra HD stills and 180 frame Ultra HD clips.
- Built in full motion 2D DVE with position, scale, resize and rotate features.
- Built in SuperSource allows 4 DVE’s and 4 keys layered as an independent video source.
- 2 media players allow graphics to be connected to keyers for fill and key layering.
- Transitions include cut, mix, dip to color, SMPTE wipes and more.
- 4 upstream keyers include chroma keyer and 2 downstream keyers are included.
- 6 auxiliary outputs include front panel aux switching buttons and LCD screen for viewing.
- Built in audio mixer live mixes embedded audio from all video inputs and independent audio inputs.
- Balanced XLR stereo analog audio inputs and 1 HiFi RCA stereo audio inputs into built in audio mixer.
- Audio mixer main and preview outputs onto balanced XLR audio outputs and on all video outputs.
- Internal sources include black, color bars, two color generators and media pool.
- Ethernet connection for control panel connection. Mac and Windows control panel software included.
- Compatible with all ATEM Broadcast Panel control panels when hardware panel is required.
- Black Burst and HD-Tri-Sync genlock input for integration into large systems.
- Compact 2 rack unit size is perfect for when a lot of power is required in a portable solution.
The ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K is available now for US$3,995 from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide.
About Blackmagic Design
Blackmagic Design creates the world’s highest quality video editing products, digital film cameras, color correctors, video converters, video monitoring, routers, live production switchers, disk recorders, waveform monitors and real time film scanners for the feature film, post production and television broadcast industries. Blackmagic Design’s DeckLink capture cards launched a revolution in quality and affordability in post production, while the company’s Emmy™ award winning DaVinci color correction products have dominated the television and film industry since 1984. Blackmagic Design continues ground breaking innovations including 6G-SDI and 12G-SDI products and stereoscopic 3D and Ultra HD workflows. Founded by world leading post production editors and engineers, Blackmagic Design has offices in the USA, UK, Japan, Singapore and Australia. For more information, please go to http://www.blackmagicdesign.com