(Cardiff, Wales--June 3, 2014) “The demands on our production platform to provide incredibly fast turn around on desired clips meant we needed a solution that would put our content at our fingertips with the minimum of disruption. We have more than one workflow at the HEAT, as such any new platform needs to be able to grow in both capacity and workflows.” “We are very pleased with the combined solution from GLOOKAST and Object Matrix as it provided the exact combination for our functionality and budgetary requirements. Their respective heritage in workflow and digital preservation was also a great comfort that the solution would just work.” Ed Filomia Senior Director Broadcast Services
The initial workflow at the Miami HEAT uses GLOOKAST Ingester, GLOOKAST Media Retriever and 24TB MatrixStore nodes providing 60TB of nearline storage. This infrastructure is easily and rapidly scalable by adding more ingest servers or MatrixStore nodes. It is also possible to add more workflows when the Miami HEAT’s requirements increase.
The Challenge - Accessing Assets in the 4th Quarter with 5 seconds on the clock
With the ongoing success of the Miami HEAT, there has been a surge in demand for a wider variety of content generated by the world renowned NBA franchise. The raw footage, created by HEATV, the team’s Media Production department, needs to be ingested and secured in a timely fashion in order to ensure a fast turnaround and distribution of the finished content. Some of the challenges they faced in their Avid workflow includes:
The Solution and the Slam Dunking Workflow
- How to protect content at the point of ingest using an affordable, scalable nearline storage platform
- How to manage various formats and wrappers during the ingest process
- How to create links between full resolution and low resolution content from within the Avid based production environment
- How to get instant access to digital archive when there is no time to find a tape
- How to ensure any new platform would be suitable for future Avid or non-Avid workflows
After considering many different options including additional on-line storage, a strategic decision was made to implement a tiered-storage solution thus ensuring the content resides on the most appropriate tier of storage at any given stage of the production workflow. Object Matrix and GLOOKAST were the vendors chosen to implement that strategic vision. They were selected as they have the proven capabilities and products to overcome those workflow challenges. The combined solution provides efficiencies through automation of the ingest process thereby ensuring the best use of the storage infrastructure. The automated and trusted workflow consists of:
- Parking of high resolution material to MatrixStore and sending of low resolution proxies to the online storage (such as Avid ISIS) thus reducing online storage costs.
- Enable content to be checked-in to Avid Interplay and automatically re-link the low resolution and high resolution clips during conform.
This automated process also enables HEATV producers and editors to spend less time on laborious and often error prone tasks.
Object Matrix Ltd http://www.object-matrix.com