(Cardiff, United Kingdom--July 29, 2014) Object Matrix, trusted provider of object based digital preservation platforms discusses how MatrixStore, its’ flagship product, is being used in Munich based broadcaster ProSiebenSat.1 Produktion, to protect media assets’ in their file based postproduction workflows.
Integrated Nearline storage platforms are being sought out across Europe as organizations come to terms with the implications of file based workflows and ever increasing file sizes brought about by a surge to HD, UHD and 3D formats. ProSiebenSat.1 Produktion saw these challenges emerging and identified them within their own production environments as the following:
- Capacity on the existing Avid storage is at a premium. The ISIS platform was designed for guaranteeing streams of access to the content and not as a mid to long term place to park projects
- Little or no space on the Avid ISIS to accommodate new projects
- Any new solution needed to be integrated with the existing Avid Interplay environment
- Moving content to LTO or other basic disk platforms was labour intensive and error prone
- The storage platform needed to automate the protection of the content and guarantee its availability
- The integration with Avid Interplay needed to meet specific requirements so not to hinder current working practice
- The storage would, at some point, be required for other departments and workflows within ProSiebenSat.1 Produktion, each requiring distinct storage silos
After considering many different options ranging from adding more ISIS chassis to a big bucket of raw disk, the MatrixStore from Object Matrix was selected as the most optimum solution. MatrixStore acts as a resilient nearline repository, complementing the ISIS shared storage and providing guaranteed access to clips as and when required.
“MatrixStore provides ProSiebenSat.1 Produktion a secure storage platform on which to park our ongoing projects within the Avid environment” said Peter Ehlert, Solution Architect at ProSiebenSat.1 Produktion. “Their integration with Avid’s Interplay means users can easily archive and restore their media content without the need to learn a new application “, he added.
Michael Stein, the Managing Director of the local reseller DVE added “MatrixStore is a proven product that fullfills the tactical short term needs of ProSiebenSat.1 Produktion today. But its flexibility allows the system to grow and evolve as ProSiebenSat.1 Produktion ’s workflows evolve. This means the investment in the MatrixStore storage system allows them to use it for other workflows in media production without the need for them to buy other islands of storage for different workflows.”
Out of the box MatrixStore provides:
- Full integration with Avid Interplay through the InterConnect Plugin from Object Matrix
- A scalable solution that requires little or no management
- Ability to keep legacy content available online and instantly browsable from Avid client machines
- Centralised Vaults provides the ability to support multiple workflows with their own security and data management rules
- Capability to add and search on Metadata
- High availability of data and automatic failover in the case of a hardware failure
- Ability to add in future storage technologies as and when they become available
- Security against accidental or malicious deletion
Object Matrix provided ’InterConnect’, the archive application that enables content to be moved to and from the ISIS storage whilst keeping the Interplay database in sync.
“As is the case across Europe many organisations are looking to implement tiered storage solutions to manage the increase in workflows using file based content. Helping broadcasters like ProSiebenSat.1 Produktion to protect their content whilst providing guaranteed access to that content on demand is what MatrixStore was made for. The integration with AVID Interplay just makes it easier for editors or administrators to get their hands on the data when they need it without leaving the environment they are most comfortable with.” Stated Mark Andrews, Head of European Sales at Object Matrix.
About ProSieben Sat.1 Produktion
ProSiebenSat.1 Produktion is a complete subsidiary company of the ProSiebenSat.1 Media AG. It offers internal and external customers technical innovations and up-to-date services for the production, storage and multimedia broadcasting of TV-content. The portfolio includes, amongst others, studio and post-production, content management and the Broadcasting Service for more than 15 TV channels.
Furthermore the company provides the complete IT-infrastructure for the ProSiebenSat.1 Group. In all its’ areas of operation, ProSiebenSat.1 Produktion supplies customised solutions with the highest safety standards.
With this service, the ProSiebenSat.1 Produktion belongs to one of the state-of-the-art production- & media technology companies in Germany.
About Object Martrix
Established in 2003, Object Matrix is a software company based in Cardiff, Wales, dedicated to the development of advanced, secure file-based systems for the broadcast and post-production industry. Its flagship product, MatrixStore, is used worldwide by national broadcasters, studios and content creators. Object Matrix also provides consultancy, training, systems integration and support services. http://www.object-matrix.com