(Vancouver, BC--January 30, 2018) The Directors Guild of Canada
, British Columbia is pleased to invite you to their 1st Annual DGC BC Short Film Awards Pitch Session and Reception moderated by Chairman Allan Harmon at Vancity Theatre, 1131 Seymour Street Vancouver
on Saturday, February 3 – doors open at 11:30, event to start at 12:00pm, noon.
The Directors Guild of Canada, BC District Council is thrilled to announce the creation of two new Directing Awards to be adjudicated and presented to two qualified DGC BC Members in good standing. The awards will provide the winning Members with both a cash award and in-kind services that will be needed to make a top quality short film for the festival circuit.
The DGC BC received many submissions for both the Legacy and the Emerging Filmmaker Awards. After going through a blind jury process the applicants have been narrowed down to the Top 3 Finalists for each Award. Our Finalists are now tasked with presenting their projects to a panel of Jurors and you, fellow film industry peers!
The DGC BC Emerging Filmmaker Award
This award will provide one DGC BC Full or Associate Member in good standing with an opportunity to make a short film to help launch their directing career. The $30,000 cash award (plus in-kind production services valued up to $75,000) will enable the Member to make their directorial debut with the support of the DGC BC. Best efforts will be made to assign a DGC BC Director Member to provide mentorship to the winning applicant.
Emerging Filmmaker Award Finalists:
The DGC BC Legacy Filmmaker Award
- Gabriel Correa, Assistant Director Member: “Beautiful Gun”
- Thomas Ma, Associate Member: “The Last Resident of Africville”
- Jacqueline Nguyen, Production Manager Member, “Molly's Tale”
This award will provide one DGC BC Full Member, in good standing for a minimum of three years, with an opportunity to make a short film to further develop their directing career. The $30,000 cash award (plus in-kind production services valued up to $75,000) will enable the Full Member to enhance their directorial reel with the support of the DGC BC.
Legacy Filmmaker Award Finalists:
- Alysse Leite-Rogers, Director Member: ”The Finger”
- Jeremy Lutter, Director Member: “We Came From the Sea”
- Holly Redford, Production Manager Member: “Normie”
- Ed Brando: Manager, Client Relations at William F. White International
- Walter Daroshin: Chair of The Motion Picture Arts & Sciences Foundation of BC, President of the Leo Awards, a Director of the Hands in Peace Society (Canada)
- Kalyn Miles: Actress and writer known for The L Word, Payment and Somewhere Between.
A blind jury deliberated over the 18 Emerging Filmmaker and 9 Legacy Filmmaker applications to narrow the field down to three finalists in each category. Congratulations to our six finalists who will have 5-7 minutes to present their project to a panel of jurors and fellow film peers with 5-7 minutes of questions from the jury.
DGC BC Short Film Awards Pitch Session Details
- Where: VIFF theatre, 1131 Seymour Street
- When: Saturday, February 3 – doors open at 11:30, event to start at 12 noon.
- Who: Moderated by Allan Harmon
We’ll begin the day by showing DGC BC Director Member Jacquie Gould’s film “Victory Square”, which was nominated for a DGC Award in 2017
- 6 live pitches, 3 each for Emerging and Legacy. Each will be 5-7 minutes
- The jury will then have 5-7 minutes each to ask questions
- We’ll then break into the atrium for a wine and cheese reception while the jury deliberates, and then the two winners will be announced.
The Directors Guild of Canada, B.C. District Council (DGC BC) represents the creative and logistical personnel in the film and television industry in British Columbia. The DGC BC Collective Agreement covers the categories of Director, 2nd Unit Director, Production & Unit Manager, plus those employed in the various Assistant Director and Locations Departments.